Tommi Pulkkanen is one of the best black belts to come out of Finland in recent years and is known for his innovative & dynamic Gi game that focuses on submissions as well as the latest lapel guard innovations. Tommi is a black belt competing out of Hilti BJJ in Lahti, Filand and is a multiple IBJJF champion and has competed on professional shows such as Polaris.
In this instructional, Tommi focuses on one of his favorite positions; De La Riva (DLR) guard. Popularised by the legendary Ricardo De La Riva, this guard is ideal for frustrating and off balancing your opponent, preventing them from passing and opening them up to being swept or having their back taken. Known as a very nuanced and tricky guard to master; Tommi breaks down his favourite ‘go to’ moves from this position and in this intructional will show you how to:
- Create the angle from DLR to expose the opponents back.
- Take the back via a few different methods
- Attack the legs and finish the submission from DLR
- Take the back via Berimbolo via a few different methods
- Obtain mount from Berimbolo
- Get the ankle lock from DLR
- Get the ankle lock from Berimbolo